Team Logic made the tactical error of focusing on selling products, which have small margins, instead of services such as “treatments”, which have vast ones. The result was a “pig ugly” loss and Lord Sugar pointed his TV trade mark finger of fate at the team leader, Felicity.
This fourth episode was the current season’s contribution to “selling” following the previous week's on sourcing and purchasing products for the Savoy Hotel.
It made for good telly but I am not sure it tells us much about the state of 'real world 'professional selling in modern Britain.
The stories of the finalists and winners of this year’s Institute of sales and marketing management BESMA awards on the other hand, are the real stories of heroes of the Selling profession.
This year's glittering event was held at the Lancaster Hotel which overlooks the Italian Gardens of London's Royal Park, Kensington Gardens.
The objective of the BESMAs is both to raise the status of selling by recognising the vital role of salespeople, and also celebrate the value sales brings to business.
Selling curries to India, car parts to Germany and fashion to France, it is clear that this private sector led-recovery not only has
'Made in Britain' stamped all over it, but 'Sold by Britain' too.
(Prime Minister Cameron concluded)
One wonders whether the 12 sales managers who formed the first incarnation of what is now the ISMM some 100 years ago in London had any idea what the fledgling Sales managers' association was to become.
Sales Director of the Year: Tony McHardy - Business Stream
Sales Manager of the Year: John Maund - Virgin Media Business
Account Manager of the Year: Catriona Shearer -Lyreco
Sales Trainer of the year: James Osborne - Innergy Ltd
Sales Professional of the year : John Schofield - Merial Animal Health Ltd
Sales Team of the Year A: Vodafone - Enterprise Small Sales team
Sales Team of the Year B: David Lloyd Leisure - Swindon Sales team
ISMM student of the year: Ayyaz Iftikhar - Handepay Merchant Services
New Sales Professional of the Year:Jonathan Beagles - Virgin Media Business
Sales Support Team of the Year: DHL International (UK) ltd
Many congratulations to all the finalists and of course the winners and runners up.
Thank you for all you do for United kingdom plc and to inspire the selling profession in the country.
"Essential Relationships" you foster with customers . Those are very "Special relationships" as well! - Very Good Selling.
Whether you are a "real world" apprentice in selling or an experienced sales professional consider joining your professional body The Institute of Sales and marketing management ISMM.
(Scroll down for link to the membership page for ISMM)
Here are some of the benefits you will gain from membership:-
• Training, networking and development opportunities - enhance your sales skills at our events, learning from world class speakers and networking with other professionals.
• Professional qualifications - enhance your CV and sales credentials. The ISMM is a government-approved awarding body for sales qualifications.
• Continuing Professional Development - you can further enhance your training and career development with our optional CPD programme.
• Successful Selling Convention - you will get membership discount on Successful Selling, the largest sales convention in the UK.
• Win national recognition - the British Excellence in Sales & Marketing Awards. (BESMA) is the 'Oscars'of the sales and marketing sector.
• Network with fellow sales professionals - your Regional Groups give an excellent social and professional environment.
ADVICE AND SUPPORT
• LinkedIn - join the ISMM LinkedIn group to exchange ideas, best practice and even leads with fellow members.
• Professional advice - you will have access to a network of sales experts to help you with day to day selling queries.
• Legal advice 'on demand' - whether of a business or personal nature, the service is available 24 hours per day, 365 days a year to give support to you when you need it the most.
NEWS AND INFORMATION
• Winning Edge magazine - keep yourself up to date with industry news, commentary and advice to aid commercial performance.
• Research and reports - gain a deeper understanding of your professional environment with access to sales reports and research.
• sellingsuccess.tv - you can enjoy free online videos, as well as ISMM news to keep you up to date with industry news and events.
• Social media - follow the ISMM and exchange ideas and views on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
I hope to see you at the next ISMM show- October 20th Ricoh Centre, Coventry for Selling Expo
Click for free executive summary of the Buyers Views of salespeople research study
Taking our places for the three course dinner - plenty of razzle dazzle!