"There is not a soul who does not have to beg alms of another, either a smile, a handshake, or a fond eye"
So said the politician and historian Lord Acton 1834 - 1902.
trustworthiness, attractiveness, sociability and more !A smile makes you memorable
|Maybe he is not a Cavalier nor laughing|
but he has a memorable smile.
One of the best selling gems of the the Wallace Collection
Using MRI , the researchers found that both learning and recalling the names associated with smiling faces preferentially activated the orbito frontal cortex , an area of the brain involved in reward processing.
We treat people who've broken the rules with more leniency if they smile afterwards. It doesn't matter whether it's a false smile, a miserable smile or a real felt smile, they all work to make us want to give the transgressor a break. (3)
|A courier company that smiles !|
|Power of the smile:Argos use a smiling arc in the logo|
|Power of the smile:Amazon use a smiling whoosh in theirs|
A study of pictures taken of baseball players in 1952 suggests those smiling outlived their non-smiling counterparts by seven years (Abel and Kruger, 2010). (9) Smile intensity in Photographs predicts longevity
Of course with this knowledge about the power of the smile we should heed once more the wisdom of Lord Acton
"Power tends to corrupt
and absolute power
corrupts absolutely." :)
(1)(Mehu et al., 2007 ‘Smiles when Sharing’). http://www.ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(07)00064-5/abstract
(3) Why smiles generate leniency http://psp.sagepub.com/content/21/3/207
(4) Embarrassment : its distinct form and its appeasement (http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/0033-2909.122.3.250
(5) Smiling when distressed When a frown is a smile turned upside down http://psp.sagepub.com/content/33/6/763
(6) Facially expressed positive emotions broaden cognition http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02699930903384667
(7) A case for reciprocal altruism http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1979-28605-001
(8) Smile and half the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone ? http://psp.sagepub.com/content/17/5/586
(9) Smile intensity in Photographs predicts longevity http://pss.sagepub.com/content/21/4/542