Pages

Friday 21 October 2011

Selling to and with Different Buyers' Values in the Generations Successful Selling 2011

Successful Selling 2011 held at the Ricoh Arena - site of Coventry Football Club
Following Don Hutson’s session on 'Value Selling' the conference considered the changing values of the today’s new generation of buyers . This session was delivered by Dr Graeme Codrington www.tommorowtoday.uk.com
Graeme's business card describes his role as " Speaker| Facilitaor| Author| Futurist
Many in the profession are aware of and use the findings that modern psychology has brought to help us develop better interrelationships and help our selling better adapt to buyer's  - NLP and Psychometric profiling etc. but Dr Codrington got the audience to focus on the array of different values that today’s buyers may have.
Dr Graeme Codrington at Successful Selling 2011


Different generations have different values so Graeme advised that to build effective relationships not only are conventional motivations important but perhaps at the moment that values are more critical.
What different generations see as Good or bad, normal or weird has been probably  formed in their upbringing  and in markedly different circumstances.
Like many speakers on the day he used his experience of domestic relationships to illustrate his talk. In Dr Codrington whether his mother in Bournemouth to represent one generation, himself and his wife as another or his three daughters as yet another.
Although there can be overlap in values, Graeme offered four distinct generations.
SILENT
BABY BOOMERS
GEN X
GEN Y
The main point Graeme got over to us is that how we present , communicate and work with each generation requires us to consider and flex to their values which may be markedly different from the generation we belong to. 

 This sort of information when dealing with customers must lead to better selling for sure.
Oscar Wilde stated that "Youth is wasted on the young" Dr Codrington suggests that the important thing is the values  of today's youth ( future buyers) are very different to Baby Boomers in the audience.
As Graeme expanded on various values of different generations  I thought back to when ( I am a baby boomer) I was in my formative years. Maybe some ISMM members might remember another 'gathering'  at a football ground but in east London.
31st May 1976 The Who played at The Valley, the home of Charlton Athletic Football Club, in what was the world's loudest concert, at over 120 dBs
 The Who's great hit "My Generation" says something about my values I guess - not all good  and not all bad.
People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby


Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby


People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby
Lyrics from The Who's great hit “My generation”
Related Links

The Portillo Moment
Buyer Facilitation
Selling Value not Price

No comments:

Post a Comment