Helene Donelly was awarded the OBE by HRH The Princess Royal at Buckingham Palace last week. She was given the honour in recognition of her work to support hospital staff to raise concerns and improve care for patients.
The Organisation and Business Ethics
|No it's not a face off ! |
Steve and Alex from Roffey Park
get focused before
the start of their stimulating session #cipdLDshow
on Ethics and the role of L and D, HR and OD
Steve and Alex shared some of the data from Roffey Park's latest research on Ethics in Organisations.
Here is some of the startling data they shared:-
Alex and Steve outlines the ethical dynamics
the external , internal and individual landscape
- power sharing
- role clarification;
- people orientation;
- and ethical guidance.
|Some Ethical dilemmas outlined by Steve|
In the model process they showed the audience some of the complexities.
Ethical dilemmas are a cat's cradle of polarised positions that make business ethics challenging and complex ( and interesting !). e.g.
To guide the audience in how to consider their engagement with business ethics they left us with 5 questions
|Model proposed for OD, HR and Land D|
1. How far reaching ( from an ethics perspective) are the terms by which your organisation defines it purpose ?
2. What are the main ethical challenges ( both internal and external) of your organisation ?
3. How clear are OD, HR, L and D in the ethical responsibilities in your organisation
4. What successes have you had currently in Policies, influencing Ethical Culture in your organisation
5. What might your next most significant next step be in the ethical culture of your company ?
Finally ,back to the individual - You and me!
Clearly regulation, compliance procedures etc. will help in better business ethics but the individuals' contribution and responsibility are key also.
The NHS is probably one of the most regulated and compliance rich cultures of any organisation in the UK but regulations, sanctions and compliance procedures are not enough on their own to ensure ethical behaviour in management.
As individuals in public, non for profit or private sector ,we need to pay attention to our own moral compass and the map of regulations to plot our ethical journeys and when necessary be inspired by the courageous example of the likes of Helen Donelly OBE.