“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about”
so Oscar Wilde, the playwright, is reputed to have said.
Popular networking situations include:-
1. Formal networking events organised specifically for potential buyers and sellers to meet each other e.g. lunch clubs
|Sideline networking event at CIPD show|
3. Social, family and leisure events where some of the people you meet are potential prospects to give business or recommend you to people who they know. ( suspects) e.g. parties, sports clubs, pubs, Round Table
- To win business
- To collect details of people who may give you business or refer to others who may give you business ( so that you can follow them up)
- To give these people details of you, your company and your offer so they can pro-actively contact you.
- To create a positive and accurate impression of what benefits people can achieve by working with you.
- To get yourself and/or your business remembered so that you will come to mind when people come across a suitable opportunity for you.
- · Timings of event ______________________________________
- · Acceptance sent?______________________________________
- · Venue_______________________________________________
- · Host Organisation_____________________________________
- · Directions and car parking details_________________________
- · What is my role?______________________________________
- · Who is the likely role?__________________________________
- · Is there a guest list?____________________________________
- · Who are my key contacts?_______________________________
- · What is their reasons attending?__________________________
- · What are my objectives?________________________________
- · Have I prepared my elevator speech?______________________
- · Will I need a “Just a minute” speech_______________________
- · Colleagues attending?__________________________________
- · Business cards in pocket/case?___________________________
- · Research – FT.com, web, Newspapers/local newspapers?______
- · Other information or actions required? ____________________