The sounds of the invasion from abroad of cuculus canorus ( cuckoos ) are with us.
Across the UK from mid March people alert us that have have heard the first cuckoos of Spring.
In London ,Spring is announced in the streets and avenues by a matching mechanical call -the chain saws of the tree surgeons .
High up in the trees of London can be spotted ,often in the Protective Clothing of the genus 'Andreas Stihlius' with their signature plumage of orange ,cream and black,those intrepid tree surgeons lopping away.
As leaders in the Forestry equipment and Landscape maintenance industry Stihl's high performing trade Stihl products and domestic brands Viking are used not just in the countryside but also in the city.
|A Tree Surgeon Tree lopping in Ladbroke Grove London April 12th 2012 scroll down for movie clip|
Tree lopping is the process of trimming various sections of a tree. The lopping may involve clearing away branches or limbs, or even shortening trunks. It is done to regenerate growth. The superfluous or dead wood is removed . It is sort of arboreal hair cut.
- Is there any dead wood amongst the trees in your Sales Avenue that needs lopping ?
- Where is the active growth to be found in your accounts ?
- How tidy is your data base ?
You may need to reduce the number of calls to existing customers in order to make time for prospecting to meet your new business target.
Whatever such calculations show you, they will lead you into a pragmatic mindset of how you can and will meet your target rather than live a selling life of 'reactive body blows' and 'windfalls' and being weighed down by dead wood.
|Two tree surgeons (One with Yellow Jacket , other Blue helmet higher up to right hand side ) at work in Ladbroke Grove, London 2012|
- Is a face to face meeting necessary ? Would email, phone call , audio conference call do it better ?
- Is your car the best means of transport ? Cheap air flight , rail, tube , bus or cab ?
- Route Planning- Grouping Calls is better time management
- For cities and towns work in towards the centre in the afternoon and out of the centre in the morning i.e. against the ‘rush hour’ flow
- Fill up the petrol tank in the evening. Save you time driving 180 degrees in the wrong direction to the 24 hours garage ( gas station)
- Listen to the radio traffic reports and make a note of reports relevant to your day
- Consider investing in satellite navigation ( sat nav.E.gTomTom, Garmin etc)
- Have some coins for parking meters
- Ask customer’s advice about local parking
- Politely refuse the offer of coffee at the end of a meeting - hot tea /coffee takes ten minutes to drink- it steals your time.
- Use waiting time for quick time fillers, seeking out information on company e.g. their in house magazine.
- Have a meeting agenda planned - perhaps even written out.
- Pack your brief case/samples etc. the night before. No wasted time first thing in the morning hunting round for stuff. Also you will get a better night's sleep
- Consider overnight stays for those customers furthest from your home base.
- Clean up your CRM, Data Bases and Records. Eradicate duplications
- Is what you are doing helping to protect your business? Cuckoo !
- Is it helping to expand your business ? Cuckoo !
- Is it helping you to develop new business ? Cuckoo !
If none of these STOP doing it. Lop It !
Cuckoo Clock chimes ten o'clock