Pages

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Lord Coe 's 3 Ps of Legacy Sarah Storey on Training for success

In an interview on TV, Lord Coe yesterday at the Parade through London stated that the 'legacy' of the 2012  games project will be  a combination of
 

"PASSION ,PURPOSE and PARTNERSHIP."

The Official programmes for both the Olympics and Paralympics  had sections devoted to the sports stars' passion about training. This revealed not simply an ethusiasm for learning but the working through the difficulties and suffering of learning, the purpose of training towards their goals which involves partnership in training with their support team of coaches, nutritionists, psycholgists etc.


The hours of effort and investment that elite sports people put in outshines somewhat the typical investment time most Sales Management in the UK invest in Sales training.

It also reveals how elite athletes not only seek advanced training but build their stamina through continual training basics. They are not above the basics. Drills ,routines and basic graft is central to their training schedules.

In view of the additional challenges that Paralympians have due to disability I found their comments full of food for thought especially with regards to attitudes and commitment to training .

 TRAINING

Wheelchair Tennis Peter Norfolk Silver Medallist London 2012 Doubles

4-5 sessions (2-3 hours each session)

“The simple reason I do all the training is because I can’t stand losing at tennis…..Being successful is only possible by training hard and putting everything into it…”

Track cycling Sarah Storey – Four Gold medals at London  Paralympics 2012

 My video clip of Sarah Storey on the London 2012 Parade

Cycles  6.8 hours per day -  32.87 miles each day

“ The way you train is the difference between winning and losing. Train too much or too little and you won’t arrive at race day with 100% to give.

… No two athletes are the same, so everyone needs to train the right way to get the best from their body; the ability  to suffer in training and racing is another difference between athletes….”

Danielle Brown Archery Gold medallist at London Paralympics 2012

Practices six days per week

150 arrows per session

Drives 12 hours per month to training

“ Elite sport is about lifestyle choice: my focus is training. Things like what I eat and when I go to bed are all important elements that affect my training, so I never stop (training) in that sense. I’ve moved to within 15 minutes of the training facility so I can go there on my own and shoot all year round. ..”

Hannah Cockcroft , Athletics two Gold medals London Paralympics 2012

 My sketch  of Hannah in full flow at London 2012
Training so hard gives me peace of mind. Sometimes I keep myself motivated by thinking that if I miss one day’s training my closest rivals might gain an advantage on me and that could make the difference between winning and losing a race by a centimetre.

Sometimes you wonder why you are training so hard- in the snow and throwing up at the side of track.  Then you enter a race…and win it. That’s when I realise why I make all these sacrifices.”

Six days a week

Pushes 100 miles per week

Weight trains 100-150 times per year

 

No comments:

Post a Comment